Skip to content

Ignite Detroit # 3

Voting for Ignite Detroit #3 will end on April 17th at 11:59pm. Speakers for the event will be announced on April 18th. You have 6 votes which you can distribute however you wish. The 10 ideas with the most public votes will present at Ignite Detroit 3. An additional 5 presentation topics will be selected by the organizers. Happy voting! To buy tickets for Ignite Detroit, visit: www.ignitedetroit3.eventbrite.com

Ignite Detroit # 3

Categories

22 results found

1. Print and digital publishing are now accessible to everyone easily. Distribution has gone to single users on the same level as publishers. Self-promotion is as easy as a Twitter account.

I believe every person has a great book inside them. There's no reason to not turn Detroit into the self-publishing capitol of the world.

162 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. I've got a 5 year old and an 8 year old daughter.

In five minutes, let me tell you why raising girls in the US in 2012 is a terrible crappy thing to do to a person. Why you may be part of the problem. And something we can all do to make it stink a little less.

183 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. The idea of change scares the hell out of most people. Brands, companies and individuals have to avoid complacency and acknowledge the landscape has radically changed. Innovative businesses are altering revenue models, evolving their product lines and scaling their operations to meet the demands of the “informed” consumer. Marketers and brands must do the same. It’s about embracing and leveraging the digital trends happening in real time and accepting that the conversation between brands and consumers is the embodiment of true two-way communication. For individuals, being informative, adapting to change and accepting new challenges gives you more value, better leadership…

215 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. We need more people making games -- especially in Michigan. But you don't have to make the next Angry Birds or Words With Friends; I'm talking about board games, card games or really any form of gaming. In the span of five minutes (yikes!) I'm going to try to convince you that you should totally make a game!

195 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. We all want the option of good public transit and our region's lack of a sensible system leaves us isolated in our own sector.

Yet our region has been unable to solve the planning, financial or political obstacles to implement a transit system over the last century.

Friends of Spaulding Court--the community based owner of the 20 unit Corktown townhouse complex--has been busy exploring the connection between housing and transportation. Through an aggressive discounting system for carfree households, our aim is to have an outsized effect on the transportation system.

187 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Do you want to double the impact of your contributions? How about triple it? Do you want to do it the old fashioned way, where a few big cats give the big money and set the agenda, or do you want to discover a new way of giving that keeps you in control no matter how little you can afford.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. How traveling across the country can open your eyes to curiosities' power to create opportunity. With each experience you take on with an open mind a new possibility will present itself. From finding jobs on the Mexican border, to staying on a mountain top in Sonoma something will come your way if you go through life with a willingness to learn.

169 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  8. This story-telling format offers a simple leadership model built from a lifetime of 'laser' lectures delivered to my nieces and nephews. During the 5 minutes I will explain how 'pack an extra pair of underpants' became secret code for the most powerful leadership behavior on earth: the act of caring!

409 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. FIGMENT demonstrates what the arts can be: participatory, bursting with creativity and completely free, born from the desire to share imagination and invention between artists and the public. And it is coming to Belle Isle again this summer as a two day event on Saturday July 21st and Sunday July 22. FIGMENT is a grassroots effort, organized and run entirely by volunteers as a gift to our cities. What are YOU bringing?

511 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Teen Council
    The Teen Council is a safe and fun place for teens ages 13-18 to come every Friday from 7:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. from September to June. Some of the fun activities the teens can participate in are pool, X-box 360, air hockey, fuse ball, board games, and 3 on 3 basketball games. Several trips and outings are planned throughout the year to the movies, skating, bowling, and Cedar Point. Teen Council also participates in major spiritual youth movements throughout the United States.
    There are many activities for the youth to participate in. However, the focus is on…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. From the classic films of Basil Rathbone to the recent Robert Downey, Jr. franchise and a canon of stories that has never been out of print, this iconic detective is a fixture in the public imagination. More than a series of mysteries, the stories have been called "a textbook of friendship." But if you look close enough, you'll also find a guide to some of the tenets of social media that we all know. Scott Monty is the head of social media for Ford Motor Company and a member of the Baker Street Irregulars, an international invitation-only literary society dedicated…

92 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I will present a brief history of feminism in Egypt that will help to contextualize the rhetoric of the most revolutionary Facebook video to ever be posted. On January 18th, 2011 Asmaa Mahfouz recorded a video that would become the catalyst for a revolution that would end the decades long rule of Hosni Mubarak. I will briefly summarize my close textual analysis of Mahfouz's rhetoric in order to present my conclusions about the role feminism has played in creating a platform for young revolutionary women in Egypt. Their participation in revolutions, within societies that perpetuate some of the most grotesque…

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. We're abandoning the suburbs for a magnificent fixer-upper in Woodbridge and have absolutely no idea what we're doing. Our community of friends has rallied around us, and we've told some of our incredible stories on intoDetroit.com. This talk will cover 4 big things I've learned about irrational decisions, Detroit, home owning, and community.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Aspirin. Trampoline. Escalator. Thermos. Once high-value name brands, these are now generic terms to describe any brand of salicylic pain relievers, jumping devices, moving stairways and insulated containers. Through "genericide," these companies were the victims of their own success. Why did these brands die, how are brands like Jell-O, Q-Tip, Kleenex and Realtor hanging on, and are brands like Google so super successful they don't have to worry?

201 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. The decline of Detroit is often attributed to incompetence and menace: bad government, bad industry, bad schools and racism. In this talk, we'll flip that notion upside-down to explore how excellence and optimism created today's Detroit. Instead of being the laggards caricatured by international news agencies we'll see that Detroiters have been leading America and the world all along.

142 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Just a quick 5 minute talk on how to spot severe weather, stay safe, and be prepared when the worst hits.

100 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Everyone has a passion (or 7) and they should blog about it. I want to share my story on how I started blogging about music, got featured on VH1.com and how it led me to numerous concerts, backstage passes and pre-released albums. Or how I started blogging about cool websites that led me to free premium accounts and talks with founders of popular sites. I hope to ignite the crowd to just start writing about something they love and I bet they'd be surprised at what they're doing next!

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Everyone wants to talk about social media. It's so easy to do. The cliches are already in place. "It's a cocktail party," "Engagement builds ambassadorship," "Share your lamp story, earn a lightbulb badge."
    Fill in the rest of the blanks.
    Yuck. I feel nauseated.

I know, I'm the social media director for the University of Michigan, and three days before I even began my job, the local online paper wrote a story that essentially said I was going to be tweeting and playing and charging the taxpayers a whole lot to do it. They put my salary in the headline.…

29 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. How do people strengthen their careers and develop new business ideas in the digital age? They use The Combination Code. People combine creativity, technology and secrets from other industries to stand apart from the competition.

I’ll share what is working.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Imaginary lines give rise to labels, animosity and separate us from greatness. We don't need to learn how to color outside the lines – we need to erase them. This five minute talk will serve as a giant, fuzzy headed, pencil top eraser for the community and ourselves.

157 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1